Sunday, March 7, 2010

Ruth's Chris steakhouse

My dad and I went to a steakhouse, Ruth's Chris in Irvine (2961 Michelson Drive), because I was curious to try it once, and my mom was out of town. I love to eat steak! We chose a ribeye steak and barbecued jumbo shrimp, with baby spinach and potato gratin, all to share. My dad got a glass of wine, and I had two shirley temples.

I noticed immediately that they specialize in steaks. The ribeye was perfectly salted, cooked medium rare just as we ordered it, and the plates were very hot! The server said don't touch, it's like 500 degrees!

The jumbo shrimp was okay. I couldn't taste any special flavor in them; they just tasted like plain shrimp. But the shrimp came with an awesome sauce. The steak was perfectly marbled and super tender and had some butter on it. The baby spinach was delicious, fresh and soft, but we forgot to ask for garlic on it. However, the potato gratin was too cheesy for me. It filled my stomach too quickly! I took home some leftovers.

At the end, we were surprised by a desert we had not ordered. They thought it had to be my birthday! I guess that is child-friendly. I could hardly eat any more, but the raspberry ice cream in a chocolate cup was fantastic, and the fruit cup came with fresh mint leaves and sweat cream sauce.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Leo,
    I saw your blog mentioned on the UH listserv. You eat out at some great places. I'm really jealous. Do you think your parents will adopt me? Probably not because I pretty darn old. Regarding your Ruth's Chris visit -- I loved Shirley Temples as a kid too. I went to RC once a long time ago and remember thinking their name is odd and hard to say. I remember the butter on the steak and thinking, this is nuts (but tasty). My husband had an onion and tomato salad there that contained the strongest onions on the planet and made him cry. It was sort of funny actually. And, I see you went to Katz's deli in NY earlier. Did you notice their "send a salami to your boy in the army" ads? One last thing before I go, do you want to be a chef some day, or are you mainly just interested in eating?
    Bye for now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. leo says
    yeah now my parents are saying that all the time. "send a salami to yo' boy in the army." I used to want to be a cook but now im focused on other things

    ReplyDelete